Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How Long Does It Take To Get Immigrant Status After Filing I-485

How Long Did It Take Your Change of Status to Be Complete? 

Please Comment and Follow so you can share your expertise with others on our Blog.

Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is used by a person in the United States to adjust his or her nonimmigrant status to that of a permanent resident. It is the final step of a long journey to green card.

How Long Does It Take to Receive Approval for My I-485 Application?

It varies dramatically from case to case, and from center to center. It also depends on your petition category (EB2 vs. EB3, for example). The bottleneck in I-485 processing used to be background checks, especially FBI name check. It was impossible to predict how long the background investigation would last. In some cases, it could take several years. However, the situation has improved since mid-2008. USCIS claims that as of March 2009, all FBI name check cases pending more than six months have been cleared. In fact, the FBI is completing over 99% name check requests within 30 days.
Along with the good news on background checks, however, visa retrogression has significantly worsened. You must have an immigrant visa number available to you before your I-485 can be approved, which means your priority date (PD) has to be earlier than the cut-off dates established in the visa bulletin for your immigration category. If you have cleared all security checks, and your PD is current, and your I-485 received date (RD) is within USCIS processing window, you can probably expect an approval from a few months to one year.



How Do I Check the Status of My I-485 Adjustment of Status Application?



Please Ask Questions. Our Video Is at the Right. Send it to all of your Facebook friends.

Tags: K1 visa, finacee visa, fiancee, fiance visa, i 485, change of status, USCIS, K1, K-1, Visa, Immigration, 

No comments:

Post a Comment